Thursday, September 29, 2011

ramblings.

Nothing much is happening today.  

One of my Bible study leaders had her baby on Saturday, and so at some point I will go to the store, get some ingredients, make some baked ziti and then take it over to her and her husband. 

Unfortunately, my plans to work out in the gym have been thwarted.  Apparently, the school is trying to instate a rule that requires SOs to pay a monthly gym access fee of $45 EC [close to $20 US] in order to limit the amount of people who work out in SGU's very small and not very well equipped gym.  A bunch of us SOs went to the Student Government Association meeting on campus last night to show solidarity in our opposition to this new policy, but we will have to wait for the official outcome after a meeting with the board of Deans today.  As of yesterday, we were informed that this policy had been in place since September 1st; however, I had never heard of it, and only two girls had had it enforced on them.  

Being one who has a general distaste for rules and regulations that I personally find stupid and ridiculous, I was planning to continue my gym attendance regardless, at least until the official official rule had been passed...at which point I would [sadly] bid the gym goodbye.  [I'm hoping it gets revoked, though.  It's crazy hot to work out outside...]  I stated this fact boldly to my husband, assuming he would agree with me, considering that he too found the rule rather ridiculous.  He was quiet for a second, but then told me he would prefer I didn't go to gym right now, at least not until the rule was officially revoked.  
"But technically, I've been breaking this rule [unknowingly] since I've been here, and no one has said anything - no one enforces it - people don't even know how to handle the policy because it was just thrown out there!  I don't go during peak hours, anyway." 
"I understand that," he said, but the rest of his answer surprised me[as they often do :) ]...He said something along the lines of, "If we continue to disregard the rules laid out for us based on our own opinions about their stupidity or logic, we will lose our ability to see our own sin."  

Wow.  Ok, hus.  Point taken. 

I couldn't argue with that, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized the importance of respecting authority in the very small things...even gym rules.  
What is more of a witness anyway? Blatantly rebelling against "the [disorganized] system"?  Or respectfully abiding by the [albeit unenforced] regulations until I hear otherwise?  Justifying myself for doing or not doing something is easier, but I see wisdom in the latter.

I'm grateful that I have a man who speaks truth in the most mundane of circumstances.  He keeps me sharp, and his answers silence me ;)  

On another note, I have some blogs that I have recently found to be interesting/encouraging.

The Rabbit Room was one that I knew about a while ago, but I had forgotten about until a friend posted it in a comment.  I've been gleefully exploring ever since.

Declarations belongs to my dear friend Ashley, who is providing fruit for thankfulness in my life every time I read :)

Enjoy these for yourself as well!  And praise the Lord in all things - inside or outside, bored or booked, hot or cold ;)  Love to all.

1 comment:

  1. Woohooo! Thanks for the shout out on your blog- I've never had that before :)

    The winky face after your comment about J's ability to silence you made me laugh. Praise the Lord for quiet husbands who can speak wisdom to their talkative wives!

    ReplyDelete