Tuesday, September 6, 2011

the market.



Hello all - it's been a "while" since I posted last, but we had a busy weekend.  Friday is a girls' Bible study, usually followed by a hang out night when we watch [or start watching] a movie with Marieke, Ryan and Justin [the latter are J's study buddies] so that they can unwind and we can have some fun all together.  Marieke and I are planning some surprise-themed parties that will happen on future Fridays...more posts to come.

Saturday I went to an orphanage with the Christian Student Association.  There were about 12 of us and about 25 kids [more were sleeping and there are babies there, too, but we never saw them].  It was an interesting experience - many of the kids are very sweet and not shy at all, but I didn't get much deep interaction with any of them really - hopefully I can get closer to a few as time goes on, I think this will be a regular Saturday thing from here on out - I will post more on that in a separate post altogether :)

Sunday we went to a local church, and that was also very interesting.  Besides being the only non-Grenadians in the room, we also had to introduce ourselves :) In Grenada [and probably in other similar cultures] church is an all-day event, but we were not able to stay the whole time.  If you want to know more about this, get a hold of me personally.

So Monday rolled around, and I was finally brave enough to take my camera to the market.  Unfortunately, the Monday market is a little less crazy than on Saturday [when we usually go], so the pictures don't show the chaos, but you can use your imagination :)

Marieke getting some goods.
 This is Oma - she sells spices at the market.  Her table looks like a very typical spice table here - as I've mentioned before, almost everyone sells the same things.
 This is a typical fruit stand - just to give you an idea - I am able to buy 2 avocados for 4 EC [about $1.50] and they are HUGE!  Not everything is this way - tomatoes are expensive, but those who know me know I have to buy them anyway :) We have established a woman named Cindy as our go-to lady for most of our goods [this isn't her table, but it's a typical one found in the market]
 Ahhh the fish market.  Mmmm Mmmm smelly.  This is NOTHING compared to what it usually looks like - teeming with workers, buyers, and gross, smelly fish [sorry - I'm really not a fan, but I will cook it once a week for my hus...because I love him.  And I make sure he knows that is the only reason why ;) ]
More fish market workers.
This man cleaned and cut Marieke's fish into workable filets - SO glad that is an option :)
Yup. So sanitary, too.
In other news, we have decided on sharing an apartment in our current complex.  It will be a two bedroom, one bathroom and a larger kitchen big enough for two cooks if need be :)  It will only be for a semester [we think] as Ryan and Marieke want to get back on campus as RAs next fall, but it will save money in the meantime...and be fun :)  

Also, we went to a crab race last night, and are going to bring the husbands with us next Monday after they take their first round of "unifieds" [first exams counting for 25% of the grades -eep!] I will do a special post on that later as well :) Prayers appreciated! :)

More to come, and love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment