Thursday, September 8, 2011

good reads.

Currently, another load of laundry is waving in the breeze with the hot, Caribbean sun beating down on it and probably sun-bleaching the inside of all our articles of clothing :)

We had another sporadic rain shower this morning - so sporadic, in fact, that I thought it was just a strong wind rustling the leaves because the sun was shining outside and it looked glorious.  Well, it was raining, in fact.  Also still glorious :) I love rain here – you get about 5 minutes of GENUINE 80 degree weather ;)

I am doing some things around the house before Marieke comes over to bake some things for a bake sale to be held tomorrow on campus.  The SOs do fundraisers for various organizations around the island, and this one will benefit PAM – Program for Adolescent Mothers – so we are making some cinnamon swirl bread [:) !] 

The real reason for this post was to discuss my latest finished read, Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot.  Most people know she is my favorite author, and reading her stuff was very pivotal for me in much of my college career.  I have been meaning to read this book and Shadow of the Almighty for a long time, so I’m glad I finally finished this one at least :)

A brief synopsis: 5 missionary families living in Equador find out about a savage tribe [the Aucas] known for random raids of violence, and desire to reach them with the gospel.  After many months of friendly air-dropped trades and fervent prayer for the Lord’s guidance, the men decide it's time to reach them in person, inviting them to meet on a beach that had been chosen as a home base.  One day, three natives show up and one even flies in the plane he has come to know so well [from seeing it fly over the village every week] and things seem friendly.  Two days later, the men radio in to the home base [the wives] that they are expecting at least 10 Aucas to visit them as the pilot had spotted a bunch coming their way – “This is the day!” 

They never radio back in at the expected time – the men were ambushed and killed.

While reading, I was convicted by and desired the same peace and faithfulness that Elisabeth and the other wives displayed even when finding out about their husbands’ deaths – no self pity here!  There was total surrender and relief found in knowing that the Lord had ordained everything – even death – and He was going to continue His work regardless of man [Elisabeth later ended up living with the same tribe for two years, and saw at least two of the men who killed her husband come to know the Lord!]
The great overarching themes of forgiveness and steadfastness were overwhelming.  It is awesome to know that you do not have to be a missionary to have this experience – whether we are faithfully plugging away at school, building relationships with others, being a stay-at-home mom, or in fact preparing for the mission field, the Lord requires the same trust and faithfulness to follow Him – regardless.  I have prayed that I might have the same strength to “pass through the waters” whatever comes my way.  Knowing that my husband desires to be a medical missionary [what a thing!], and our current position is only a means of getting there, I never want to be bombarded by the doubt that so easily overwhelms, or the deceiving desire to control everything – I have NO control, only a steady knowledge that God is sovereign and working for my good, even if the “good” isn’t my definition of good. 

“The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup,
You hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places,
Indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.”
Psalm 16: 5-6

May the Lord grant us the grace to sing His praises in and out of season, in and out of trials, in and out of doubts!
May this faith be ours and always increasing.  Much love.

3 comments:

  1. so beautiful sweet friend! i really should get around to reading this book :-) uh, miss your encouragement face-to-face!! love you and praying with you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm eager to finiish the book! i skipped over the paragraph of your summery- because I've been reading this book slowly off and on all summer ( i didn't know you were too, did I? Did we discuss this?) I'm about half way through. I'm excited to get back into it after reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha awesome :) no - i just started and finished the book in the last week or so :) more time, you know ;) let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete