Thursday, January 19, 2012

girls' night out.

I forgot to mention that this past week was orientation for the new first term-ers.  I missed orientation last time because I stayed later in Louisville, so I was excited to see at least one thing I had missed: the bazaar.  SGU was PACKED with vendors, clubs, and calypso drums.  It was a bit overwhelming, but I'm not even close to how overwhelmed the first termers must have felt.  At least I knew what was going on :)  Since J is now the president of HSO, he had to be at a table representing it, and he got over 2 pages worth of vounteers to sign up - he was not expecting that! So we will see how this term goes...I "worked" the SO table for a bit [being a board member and all] but really was pretty much worthless, so I walked around after my shift was over and visited some of the tables with known freebies...like movie tickets :)

One of my friends had told me that if you guessed your weight within a certain amount, you could win free tickets to the movie theatre here...so that was my first priority :)  I wandered over, guessed my weight [I think they were using the same scale as the gym -ha!] and got my free ticket :) I also got a free veggie samosa from a local restaurant set-up, and bought a cheap Indian goodie to bring back for the hus and I to snack on before I went home to get dinner ready.  It was all very good and I was happy to finally experience the bazaar, although I really didn't miss anything last term :)  It was nice to walk around knowing that I already knew most of the vendors [or where they were located], and so I felt like I was a little bit of an imposter - trying to look "lost and confused" as I scoped out the goods ;) [Although all students/SOs are welcome to partake...I wasn't cheating the system here :)]

So I came home and told Marieke that I had a free ticket that expired the 1st of February and we should use it and split the cost of the other ticket to go to the movies this week.  And then our husbands came home...with two more!  Hooray! Free movie night!  And since the only thing playing this week that was worthwhile was Monte Carlo [which I saw last summer...that took a while, huh?] the guys were fine with us taking the tickets ourselves.  

We had met a new neighbor at church on Sunday [Becca], and so I thought it would be cool to invite her along since she is a newbie to the island :)  So I went over to her apartment and asked her is she would like to join, and she did.  Marieke and I bought M&Ms to put in homemade popcorn, and soon we were ready to venture out on our free Girl's Night.  We walked and talked all the way to the movie and all the way back.  It was relaxing and fun, and luckily, Becca still got a bit of the "Grenadian movie experience"...I didn't think it was possible with a movie as tame as Monte Carlo [no action scenes], but apparently some of the characters/plot moments were too stupid to be ignored, and some things were shouted/commented on throughout :)  Needless to say, it was a good time and I still love this local movie theatre.  Always an adventure to be had... :)  

Today we will [hopefully] have a maintenance man come check out our sink - apparently, a few too many food goods have worked their way down our drain [oops!] and now it's clogged...I never noticed the sink drain cover thing until Marieke pointed it out today...oops again.  Anyway, hopefully this will never happen again, and now we know :)  Beyond that, I need to get my driver's license renewed and some water coolers from the SO storage closet to use for the CSA Barbeque after church on Sunday.  This weekend should be pretty busy!  
Well, that's about it for now - we miss everyone!  But we both have plane tickets now, so we are coming home for sure!!! :)  
Much love from Grenada.

No comments:

Post a Comment