Thursday, October 27, 2011

like a regular grenadian...

...I attended a school talent show tonight.  All. By. Myself.

That's right folks, Marieke and I were invited to attend a dance recital [which was much, much more] by the girls that we work with at the orphanage, but Marieke is taking classes online and was unable to attend.  I thought it would still be a good thing for me to go and show my support - plus get a little insight into the daily lives of our girls :) The girl I work with mostly ["T"] no longer attends this school because she graduated and now attends a "transitional" school, but she made a couple guest appearances in some of the dances [there were so many!!!] and the other two girls were in various skits/dances/songs throughout the night as well.

It was supposed to start at 5pm.  Well, this is Grenada, so it didn't start then, and actually, I ended up leaving early because it was coming on 8pm and still wasn't over, and I needed to come home and cook meals.  I think it would have been over soon, but the girls had seen me and I didn't want to walk home any later.  

The show was to benefit/celebrate 35 years of the Special Education School of Grenada.  It was held on the second floor of a parish, and it was definitely a different experience from any school talent show I had ever been to - not in a bad way, just in a Grenadian way.  For instance:  the "program" was hardly followed, and because many of the kids were in many of the performances, and each performance had a different costume, much of the program was held up in order for them to be able to change.  The emcee promptly opened the mic up for anyone who might want to share a talent, and even belted a song for us himself.  The teachers even had more than 3 performances, I think.  It was very long, but it was sweet to see so many kids express their creativity.  "M," who Marieke works with, was in too many acts to count.  Apparently, she has a thing for the stage :)  Here are some pictures from the night:

 Here we are...M is on the mic to the right, belting her heart out :)
 This was a cute skit of "Old MacDonald" - I didn't know any of the kids, but it was sweet.
 Here's M again, doing her thang.
 And again.
 This is A, second from the right. Marieke and I share time on Thursdays working with her.
 This was a sweet mother/daughter song.  It was so cute - the little girl watched her mom the whole time, and her mom got really into it, haha.

 View from the back.
 Rendition of Cinderalla...this was a VERY reluctant prince, who also happens to be a kid I know from the LIMES program.
 I've never seen the Cinderella story have so much attitude...seriously.  Mostly thanks to yours truly, M...in the checkered dress.  I don't know where this girl got all her costume changes.  It was ridiculous.
 There's T!  [Furthest on the left]
 
She's so pretty!  Love this girl- she's super sweet.


Here are some links of two of the performances, little snippets really:

Hope everyone's night is going well! Much love.

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I bet your girls were thrilled that you went!

    ReplyDelete