Sunday, November 6, 2011

happy birthday, boo.

So today ended up much different then originally planned.  We were supposed to have one of J's friends over for dinner, but he ended up having to cancel.  I had been planning on making J's favorite dish [pot roast] for dinner on Tuesday for his birthday, but since there was an opening for tonight [a less stressful, not-in-the-middle-of-the-study-week night] I saw the happenstance as a great opportunity to try to pull off the birthday dinner instead. 

I called Marieke to see if she and Ryan would be able to join in and surprise J, and they were able, so Marieke came over earlier bringing ice cream and supplies to make a couple birthday signs :)  Ryan caught a different bus, and J came home to me "cleaning the dishes" [not unusual] and was able to walk totally surprised into a full-fledged birthday dinner - a big feat in Grenada, I think - and the Cappas popped out of another room to complete the surprise.  He was very pleased - many "Mmmm, roast is so good! Thank you!"s throughout the meal :) We all chatted for a bit, and then he and Ryan reviewed a few study things while Marieke and I cleaned dishes [again, haha].  Now the happy, well fed guy is watching his favorite football team [Steelers] for a bit.  Hooray for birthdays! Praise the LORD for my granting my handsome man life and breath and so much more, and for the simple ability to surprise him tonight :) I'll let the pictures tell the rest.
 The spread...like our 70s decor?? ;)
 The signage, courtesy of Marieke.  Check out that cake!  Guess what candles she used...?? :)
 Mmmmm...my new weekly bake of whole wheat rolls with butter - I LOVE yeast now! Haha...
 Mini avocado and cheese salad.
The roast...white wine, fresh basil and garlic, carrots, potatoes, onions and a long life in the oven make it A-MAZ-ING!
 A VERY happy almost 23-year-old :)  Clarification: "Very, very happy" - J
 Marieke with desert...
 Fresh, hot pumpkin bread with vanilla ice cream!  Also wonderful!
The men, discussing something very important, that obviously [looking at Ryan's face] had nothing to do with the taste of the food... :)

I was so excited to be able to pull this off :)  Happy Birthday, Hus! I Love You!

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Em! Roast looks amazing! Look at those rolls- quite the yeast baker now, I see! Happy Birthday Jonathan! (Candles from Hogwarts, I presume? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep :) good job! I think they are going to be retired now...

    ReplyDelete