Friday, December 2, 2011

some adventures & advent reading 6.

So yesterday, Marieke and I were planning on going to Bel Air to sing Christmas songs with some of the kids there.  But before we did that [in the afternoon], we ventured over to the Special Education School [where our girls attend] for an art gallery/sale of things done by the kids.  I got some really cute Christmas gifts there, and I am glad that I was able to support the school as well in the meantime.  Sometimes it hits me more than other times that I live in [basically] a third world country.  As we were walking through the school [aka cement walled rooms back to back with a little play yard] I realized how drastically different this place [and education, and everything else really] is from the states [and you can say, "Duh!" if you want, but sometimes you just forget, you know?  Especially once things seem "normal" and you've been adjusted for a while.]  Almost all the classrooms had a TV and M's teacher was just sitting in the classroom watching it while the kids roamed around.  I'm assuming this lack of structure was due to the fact that the art sale was going on, and parents and friends would be in and out throughout the day anyway, but I'm also wondering how much teaching really goes on there...I think that no matter what "level" the kids are, they are all grouped by age, so that ones who may learn better in a different class are still stuck with other students who can't function at as high of a level.  I don't know if this is true, but based on our girls' abilities to read/write/do math I'm thinking this might be the case.  I think in a lot of ways, Grenada is very young old country.  I think they are just beginning to figure out how things should be run, and it's going to take a long time for significant, helpful change to come about.  I think a lot of this needs to happen in the educational system.  According to word on the street, teachers only need an Associate's degree to teach, and if they have had basically the same education as the kids are getting now, the system isn't going to be effectively growing.  Lots to think about, but to sum it up:  I was glad to be able to stop by yesterday, and I think it helps build the girls' trust in us more and more when we show up to things that we say we are going to show up for.

After this, we went back to campus to eat lunch and practice our Christmas songs.  This led to an extensive time of goofy recordings, and unfortunately, I thought I was able to attach music to the blog, but it appears that I can't...??  I may make some blank YouTube videos and link them that way.  Anyway, I'll just say that a lot of laughing and singing happened on the tracks - fun times.  And then we ventured to Bel Air.  Thankfully, Marieke has been gifted with the ability to play guitar, without which we probably wouldn't have been able to capture as much attention [and even that was iffy, especially with the little ones] but it was fun, and the older girls definitely LOVE to sing, and sing LOUD :)  Both of our voices were hoarse by the time we left, but it was a good time - I'm glad we were able to do that before the Christmas break - singing is good for the soul :)

I've been having a rough time as of late.  Just pray for me and pray for my hard working husband - finals are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday next week!  So close, but he still feels he has a lot to cover, so pray for grace for the both of us, and just patience and focus for me - not to look at myself/situations, but to the Lord, who is working all things for His glory.

Love to all.


Malachi 4:1-3
The Sun of Righteousness, the Daystar, shall arise.

For behold,  the day is coming, burning like an oven, when  all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the LORD of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.  2 But for you  who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise  with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall.  3 And you shall tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet, on the day when I act, says the LORD of hosts.

1 comment:

  1. Em, thanks for posting these. We are following them; you are serving your family from a distance! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete