Sunday, August 28, 2011

pumpkin goodies and the smallest cell phone known to man. maybe.

Well hello again, faithful blog readers, as well as those of you who might have accidently stumbled upon this blog via Google or some other random means :)
It is only 7:30ish here and already pitch black as the day is almost exactly 12 hours long [sunrise 6am-ish, sunset 6:30pm-ish]. I have just completed a full day of church, baking, talk-a-tone-ing with AJ YUEN!!, neighbor-visiting and now blogging :)

To begin, we have a sad story: Marieke's convection oven broke [too much voltage] and she is now limited to only two stove-top burners [the sadness of living on campus].
The happy story: we have decided to inaugurate "baking days" when she ventures over to use our oven and cook some goods, and I get to share in the joy of baking :)
Another happy story: they sell PUMPKIN puree here! Hooray! For those of you who don't know, I was a little worried about what was and wasn't going to be available in the stores here, but I can tell you that I can get almost anything I could at home. This was a surprise for me [and a lot of other girls I've since spoken with] since the impression we all had was that there was hardly anything here and we would be scrounging for food. Well, fear not - we are fine. Beyond fine, apparently, since there is pumpkin. And if you know me well at all, you know I LOVE fall and anything to do with fall, including pumpkin bread, pumpkin chocolate bread [very different, mind you], pumpkin cookies, pumpkin spice lattes [which alas is unavailable in and probably much too warm for the island environment]...you get the idea.

Well, Marieke was the one who spotted it at the grocery store and so graciously shared her findings. We are now plotting a "Christgiving" day somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and many a pumpkin goods will be included :):):)!!! So here is the product of our baking endeavors. Meanwhile, as fall heads toward you state-siders, enjoy it for me - relish in every glorious moment of changing seasons, crisp air, crunchy leaves, and the consumption of hot beverages on cool walks :)


Pumpkin bread baked Grenadian style: in ramekins and any Pyrex dish we could find ;)
Marieke demonstrating the art of checking on the readiness of delicious bread [it was still too gooey]...The finished product: 5 ramekins of pumpkin bread and aplenty of pumpkin oatmeal cookies [a MarEmile Concoction] - YUM! The little plate was taken to my neighbor, a woman named Sayeh who is originally from Iran. Her husband is first term with J. She has a super cute 8 month old named Lilia...we hung out there for a while and we're meeting up with her tomorrow to go to the pool :) Hopefully I can share some pictures of them soon :)

I also wanted to include a picture of my cell phone. I meant to do this earlier, and it really is a rather silly thing to share, but I thought it was probably one of the smallest phones I'd ever seen. It fits on my track pad! [it looks bigger in this picture, too...I promise its super cute and tiny!] Now you all know what my local phone looks like. Good thing I only have about 7 numbers - its probably too small to hold much more ;)

3 comments:

  1. I so enjoy reading your blog and hearing what's going on with you all. Love you and continue to pray for you all :)
    I am downloading skype asap! Then hopefully we can figure out a time to chat soon.
    Love,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey love! YAY! i'm glad you are getting the emails i was hoping it wasn't an old address that i had - do you have a different one that you prefer? also, our skype name is team.vacek but you can also call that one number anytime and we can chat on the cell fo' free!! LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeahhhhh talked with aj yuen! hehehe:) aw miss you em and your pumpkinness. so happy to know you have access to all the groceries and stuff you could get here!

    ReplyDelete