Monday, August 29, 2011

"no one told me it was TARO!"

Oh geez.

So...today was another pool day, and since Sayeh had never been to the pool we decided to go ahead and go again. Marieke, Jessica, Natalie and I all piled into Sayeh's car and we drove to the pool. On our way, Natalie turned around to face Marieke and I and said, "So...I almost killed you guys."

Rewind to snorkeling day:
We are sitting on the beach and everyone is enjoying their lunches that they had thought to bring ahead of time [Marieke and I did not, and so we watched as everyone else who was smarter than us ate their meals] and I noticed that Natalie had what appeared to be spinach in her stir fry. Since I had not yet found spinach, and my husband had just recently requested some "leafy greens," I asked her where she had found it. She said that it actually wasn't spinach, it was callaloo - a local alternative to the more expensive, imported spinach. Hmmm...I was intrigued.

Next day:
Market time, and I find callaloo right away [well, I was actually asking for "Hallabaloo" or "Hallabah" or something ridiculous...I had misheard the actual name. Awesome...] So after I learned the correct term, I was able to purchase some callaloo - Huge, deep green leaves on the end of harder, thick stalks. J was so excited for leafy greens that I actually threw one in our meal that night...good thing I didn't make a salad out of it, like I was planning...

Forward to this morning:

Marieke came over early to talk to the landlords about the apartment we are almost positive we are going to rent, and she told me that she had had a very strange reaction to a piece of callaloo the night before. She had taken a little bite just to taste it, and I quote, "My mouth started burning - it felt like a thousand little pixies stabbing me all over the inside of my mouth." And it didn't end there! Apparently, her mouth and throat kept burning for another two hours. I suggested she might be allergic. Psch, some doctor I would make...Little did I know....

Back to the car ride:
Natalie: "So...I almost killed you guys..."
Me: "What? What are you talking about?" [At this point I'm wondering how I could've been so oblivious to almost being run over by a car or something...]
Natalie: "So, you know how I told you about callaloo?"
Marieke and Emily: "Yeah..."
Natalie: "Well, apparently it's poisonous and I freaked out because I had told you guys about it and I knew you were going to get it at the market. I tried to find you on Facebook, but I could only find Marieke so I messaged her...didn't you get my message?"
Marieke: "No..."
Natalie: "Really? I sent it Saturday..."
Marieke: "Oh, maybe I just thought it was another SO announcement, so I ignored it..."
Jessica: "Yeah, I do that too..." [awkward laughter because apparently THIS message should not have been avoided]
Natalie: "Well, anyway, for some reason, I really don't know why, I decided I would look up callaloo online because after we found out about that one tree [there is a tree here with fruit that will burn through your skin on contact, very dangerous] I was wondering if there were other things on the island we ought to know about, and I had heard about a plant that was poisonous so I wanted to check it out. Well, turns out "Callaloo" is a native dish here, but it really has nothing to do with the plant - the plant that they CALL "callaloo" here is actually TARO! Taro! No one told me it was TARO!"
Everyone: "What's wrong with taro?"

[at this point I will insert the Wikipedia definition of taro, because someone else in the world explains it best...]
"The plant is inedible when raw and considered toxic due to the presence of calcium oxalate crystals, typically as raphides. The toxin is minimized by cooking, especially with a pinch of baking soda. It can also be reduced by steeping taro roots in cold water overnight. Calcium oxalate is highly insoluble and contributes to kidney stones. It has been recommended to take milk or other calcium rich foods with Taro. Taro leaves also must be handled with care due to toxicity of the leaves, but are completely safe after cooking."

Awesome. Back to the conversation.

Natalie: "So the minute I found out, I got a huge pit in my stomach because I thought I had killed you guys or something, so that's why I tried to get a hold of you right away."
Emily: "Wow, that's crazy, because Marieke JUST tried it the other night and got a burning mouth or something! Glad I know now, I was about to make a salad!"
Marieke: [restates aforementioned reaction]

...end of story, pretty much.

So there you have it, folks. We've learned our lesson, too...apparently, you should ALWAYS ask about foreign foods, and not just assume that since they are sold at the market they are automatically alright to eat...at least not raw. On a better note: the avocados are amazing here :)

Here is a picture of the culprit [and me in all my pool wetness/sweaty glory], just in case you ever run into it. Be warned.
And just for the record, everyone is fine. And I am still stir frying my callaloo...I mean, taro.

2 comments:

  1. HA! wow that is crazy! I'm glad you're okay! research EVERYTHING from here on out- okay?!

    ReplyDelete