Saturday, July 28, 2012

sailing, sailing...and a new "friend"

So today was another third termer weekend adventure.  It has been so nice to be able to have J around more, and for him to experience a lot of the what the island has to offer while he can.  Our friend Andrea had a lifelong dream to go out on a sailboat, and found a pretty good deal to make it come to fruition here in Grenada if she could gather 10-12 people to tag along for a 2+ hour charter.  
J and I were among them.  
I am prone to motion sickness and I had heard that sailboats were the worst offenders, and so I popped a WHOLE dramamine pill before take-off.  Alas, it did not work as well as I was hoping [or did it really work and I just didn't know that I was saved from some serious cookie tossing? I don't know...] but I felt relatively sick the whole time and wasn't able to engage in much conversation. However, when I was laying down with a cool drink in hand, feeling the cool breeze travel across my face while listening to the conversation around me, it was pretty relaxing.  I just couldn't sit up very long :)  I did manage to get some pictures because it really was very pretty.  J loved every minute of it, and didn't feel motion sickness at all...of course :)  But I am glad we were able to do this together, even if I am a novice at these types of adventurous things :)
We were able to watch the sunset and come back to Port Louis with the moon glowing above us and the city of St. George's glittering around us.  These are the moments I remember how beautiful this little island is truly, even though it is difficult living here at times. 
 
There she is!
 The planner herself! She was VERY excited :)

This was before I just gave up my attempt to hang out and laid down :) [photo courtesy of Andrea]
 Look! Haircut and clean-shaven! WIN!!!




 Friends with a mast.
 St. George's.
Another sailboat that would have been thousands of dollars to charter, ha!


Unfortunately, the awe was short lived as we got home to discover the HUGEST roach I've EVER seen [and I've seen quite enough for my lifetime, thank you] skittering over our stove where I had left some leftover PLAIN rice in our one pot [that has no lid] in my hurry to get out the door.  A dumb move on my part considering my knowledge of the bugs here, but I was hoping the stove [which is not attached to anything else in the kitchen] would have prevented any little food-snoopers. WRONG. I will never do that again.  And the worst part is that my fearless husband was unable to kill the sucker.  So it is still alive and well, probably waiting for us to go to bed to come out and search our house.  Ug, I just got some chills thinking about it...I also think I spotted some poop?? Not sure, but it sure did look like a goodie of some kind, and J said it was possible.  Gross.  Everything is currently soaking in a lot of water and tiny bit of bleach, just for our peace of mind. Well folks, sorry to end that story on such an awful note, but I gotta present the good and the bad, you know? :)  We're fine, really!  

Tomorrow night is the second installment of Batman back on campus in a lecture hall...then we will just wait until Grenada decides to buy and ship in the new movie reel so we can all see the third one :)  I hope everyones' weekends are going well!  
Much love from your sailing roach hunters here in Grenada :)

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures are stunning! I also hope that roach burns in hell :-) Enjoy every minute of that beautiful place for us! We sure miss you.

    ReplyDelete