Sunday, July 22, 2012

first post-midterm weekend of the "fall" term.

So J had his first midterm this Friday which means that he had absolutely NOTHING to do this weekend except spend time with his wife :):) - which he did!  

Friday afternoon we headed straight to a new restaurant for both of us: "Umbrellas."  We got fries AND sweet potato fries [we were really hungry, and I was craving some "USA food"] and he got a pulled pork sandwich while I got a basil mayo chicken one.  We were both pretty impressed and glad to be in the shade of the restaurant, although Friday continued to be a pretty brutal day heat-wise.  
To continue our health kick, we then visited the ice cream factory that is literally a two minute walk from our apartment!! [Good thing we have a budget, is all I gotta say ;) ]  
We came home, took a nap [hey! it's hot and he took a test!] and then we walked to Lance Aux Epines beach [the now-closest beach to our place which isn't so typical as its filled mostly with sailboats, but its still very pretty and relaxing].  The rest of the night was filled with reading and watching a movie - it was very fun to have a whole day devoted to hanging out.  I am cherishing these times for when 4th term sucks the life out of everything... :(

Saturday J got up and played basketball [crazy man] and I slept in :)  Then when he got back we drove over to a place called "The Merry Bakery" and it was merry, indeed.  J had been wanting to try that place since last term when we found out about it, but it seemed to be closed every time we tried to swing by.  However, it was open when we got there and J finally got his long-anticipated cinnamon roll - straight out of the oven!!! It was very good, and definitely enough to fill the both of us up for breakfast, so then we headed home where I prepared lunch for the day before we went to campus to hang out with the Cappas before we went ...on a hash!

Now, I know I haven't talked about hashing on here before mostly because I had no desire to do one...ever.  But since J really wanted to go, and I didn't want to spend so long without him on our big weekend, I decided to toughen up and brave the experience.
Just a quick note on hashes:  It's usually a muddy, muddy hike through some densely forested area in Grenada with trails marked with little piles of paper.  There can be false trails, etc, and then there is a big party at the end with local food and drink for sale.  If you admit you're a newbie, you get a certificate after being hosed down with beer.  Yup.  Luckily, we knew this ahead of time, so we pretended like our hashing experience was old news.   

I mostly walked with my friend Angela while J walked a little ahead with our friend Phil, but it was still fun for us to do "together" and I think J appreciated that I tried it out :)  I got pretty muddy, and it was difficult to hike in Chacos [which, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they're for??] but it was a better experience that I thought it was going to be.  I also think I was lucky in getting the kind of hike we did that day.  I have heard of many other hashes that included rock scaling in the rain, etc., and others that last for hours and hours, and so I was grateful for our simple, muddy, yet beautiful one-hour hike :)  

Unfortunately, we were at the mercy of the bus driver for when we could leave, and apparently the bus driver likes to party.  Just to show you: we got done with the hash probably around 5:30, but we didn't leave until almost 8pm, and we were definitely all ready to go no later than 6:15pm.  That alone would probably keep me from going again.  Oh well.  I told Jonathan I would be willing to go on one or two more if he really wanted to...and preferably in the spring term when its "cooler"...but either way, it was nice to be able to say that we've "been there, done that"...I'm good with experiencing everything at least once so that I don't leave with regrets :)  

Here are some pictures that my friend Chloe took of us/for us...I know, I know, J needs a haircut...he's getting one tonight...or tomorrow.  Promise.



 See? MUDDY!!
 Angela and I
Chloe, Angela, me, my gigantic arm, Marieke...successful hash!


This morning we went back to a local church that some friends of friends found [long story, beginning in the states! It's crazy how small is the world!] and invited us to.  We were no longer "new visitors" so we didn't have to stand up and introduce ourselves again, but we were still addressed from the pulpit.  I don't know if that's the best way to make people feel welcome, but maybe its standard for people in Grenada :)  Anyway, its been encouraging to go there and hear solid teaching and to know that there is a church here in Grenada that is concerned with the gospel!  We also found out today that there are "sister" churches that may be closer to us, so we might check out those [right now its about a 15 minute drive, but in our car its a little scary ;) ]  We will see... :)

Tonight we are having a showing of "Batman Begins" in prep for the [hopeful] release of the movie in Grenada...sometime soon.  There have been phone calls made to the theatre, but no definite answers on when it will actually show.  But we are doing our best to end the weekend on a fun note, so we are showing it on the "big screen" in one of the lecture halls.  Should be a good time :)  So that wraps up our weekend!  I'm looking forward to the last three or so before J gets turned into med school zombie again :(  Be praying for him!

Much love from Grenada.

No comments:

Post a Comment