Saturday, April 14, 2012

5Ks & baptisms, photographs & paintings.

Well today has already been so eventful! I organized and ran my first 5K EVER and besides stopping for some water, and for about 10 feet up the end of a hill, I ran the WHOLE time and came in at 32:43 with a friend of mine:)  Not bad for a person who just started running this term, huh??  I guess the Lord knew I should start running when the SOs weren't allowed in the gym last term and it was my only option for working out :)  I've gotta say - I'm pretty surprised at what my body can do now - there was a time when running two minutes was enough to get me wheezing!!!  And the Lord also provided GREAT running weather today - it has started to get pretty hot again, even in the mornings and at night, but today was perfect!  Of course, I got sweaty, but I was also running for a half hour, so its kind of unavoidable :)  My friend and accountability partner from Bible Study ran with me the whole way, and I was very grateful to have the company - and running accountability, too!  I'm sure I would have stopped running a few other times had I not had her there with me to spur me on - I can see why the Christian life is compared to a race, and how it emphasizes fellowship - its so much easier to keep pressing on when others are around you to encourage you to do so! :)

I also wanted to share some pictures of last weekend on Easter Sunday of most of the girls in our Bible Study.  Our sweet Stacy got baptized along with 4 other people in the ocean on Black Sand Beach.  It was beautiful and glorious, and I am so blessed to have these women in my life here in Grenada :)  It is a JOY to teach them and interact with them throughout the week :) 
 From left to right: Andrea, Stacey, Yunah, Angela [my running buddy!], me, Becca [who designed all the fabulous fundraising posters this term!], Marieke, and Christina.  We were missing about 3 more girls, but I still love this picture :)
And again, a little goofier :) You can also see Ryan in the ocean in the background, ha!


And now FINALLY, I present the Photo Auction pictures :)

 Some of the crowd that came by to check things out throughout the night...
 See someone you know?? :)  He was very supportive and helpful to me when I was somewhat flustered with everything going on...
 J really liked this picture...and he kept bidding until I told him that he could let someone else have it, since Marieke took it...ha!
 SUNDAES!!!
 Enjoying the AMAZING sundaes that really were quite a hit :) I think Mark is making a funny face on purpose - I told them to be "candid"...hmmmm....


 The really cool map of Grenada that one of the SO's painted!

This next picture is also from the photo auction, but I wanted to put it down here because I used it to draw a picture at a social event called "Painting with a Twist" - every 2-3 people who came together brought a bottle of wine and some snacks and proceeded to paint the sunset from a great view point [minus some power lines].  It was a ton of fun and very relaxing and I think they are going to do one more before the end of the term :) 
So I still had this picture on my camera when I decided I didn't want to paint another painting [after I had painted my sunset...which you will see below], but I still wanted to draw.  I tried to draw Natalie, but she was moving around too much, so I decided to draw the daughter of one of the Social Coordinators :)  She is so precious!!!  So here she is at the photo auction...
 And here she is on paper...
 And here she is in real life and with her picture :)  The minute she saw it she said, "Look! That's Abby! That's me!!!"  She was sooo cute about it - she recognized herself right away! :)

And now here are the rest of the photos from the painting night...

Such a fun idea!!

The sunset we were supposed to paint...I debated adding the beautiful powerlines...
 Sorry you have to turn your head sideways to see this one - I didn't have time to edit any of these pictures, including rotating :)  But this was my sunset...haha

Well, that's about all folks.  Oh!  We DID go see The Hunger Games last night with a big group of friends - someone petitioned to have it released here [usually it takes months and months for "New Releases" to get here!] and it was fun to feel a bit American again - AND see a NEW movie for about $3US a person!!! Can't beat that :)  So far it's been a great weekend, but we are still so ready to be home and see everyone!  

Much love from Grenada.

No comments:

Post a Comment