Sunday, March 4, 2012

grensave food festival and other notes.

I'm sorry that it seems as if I can only write blog posts on the weekends...but currently, that seems to be the trend.  It's probably a good thing too, since I feel as if I am running out of new things to say.

This weekend, the organization that Marieke volunteers with [Grensave] hosted its annual International Food Festival.  I was recruited [along with other friends] to take photos, work the US table, and be there for any extra help needed.  It was a lot of fun, but it was also a looonnng day and I was so happy to sit down at the end of it.  The brain child behind our table decor was Becca, and another SO named Scott was the point man for recruiting the baked goods for the table.  I just made some brownies [Grenadians LOVE brownies, by the way!] and helped sell the goods from 12-5:30pm or so.  

The event covered three areas: an outdoor pavilion, and two large convention center-like rooms.  One room had the "opening ceremonies," some dancing, the Children's Village and arts and crafts for sale.

The outdoor pavilion had a bunch of different food vendors from places including: India, Grenada, Trinidad, Belize, and many others that I have now forgotten....meanwhile, China, Brazil, South Korea, the US and some others had the only air conditioned building for our tables :)  The Lord knew we would need it ;)

It was a huge event, and I took a bunch of pictures, but since I don't have my camera handy at the moment, I am posting some pictures one of our friends took and I will post mine later.

The main crew [minus Becca, who had left at this point], from L to R: Jon [a Peace Corp member], Natalie, Marieke, me, Scott.  
Scott and I suffer from the same photo-face malfunction disease...or we're both just hams...whatever.  By the way...this table had been FULL before...this was at the very end, when all of us just wanted to get home :)  But you can also still see some of Becca's awesome decorations!
 This was my Miss America pose.   I had to represent our culture, you know??
They thought we were crazy ;)




Our table was able to raise a little over $660EC for Grensave! It was a lot of fun to hang out with friends and support a great local organization that works for clean water and bath house projects, builds preschools, and organizes and sponsors after-school programs and camps for children and youth around Grenada.  

In other news, I had to go to the doctor on Friday to have some blood work done because the topical cream that they gave me to "cure" my fungus backfired and made it worse.  They then said that I would definitely need an oral medication, but needed to check to make sure my liver functions well enough to handle it - sounds great, right?  Well, of course my blood work was a bummer, as it always is [I cried...a little, but still...stupid natural reaction] ...but I was also given some advice from a local to try one more cream before I decided to take the oral med [which sounds scary anyway, if they needed blood work] so I took the advice [couldn't hurt, right? and this was a local lady who said she had often had this issue/used this cream] and bought the cream.  Within one day, my arms started to clear up and stop itching quite so much.  Three days in: significantly better, diminished, and significantly less itchy.  PRAISE THE LORD!!! Hopefully this means that I can avoid the scary oral pill, and keep this cream in mind for the future.  I'm just praying that this is the end of this FOR GOOD!

We are still feeling quite starved spiritually here - especially J, who doesn't have the same amounts of time that I have to read/listen to additional sermons/study, etc.  Please be praying for him, but it is a constant reminder of our desire/need for refreshment this summer, and we are so ready for it!
Midterm studying is in full-swing, which means J doesn't get home from school until about 11pm every night.  Please be praying for him [and us] in all these things, but mostly that we will keep our eyes fixed on the Lord and the glory of the gospel [although the Lord is pleased to hear all things...we just know He is so much more abundant in grace than simply answering the "please help me pass this test" prayers - and for THAT we are eternally thankful, and desire to know Him more fully! :) ]

I can say without shame that there have been many tears shed as I think of all the blessings we have in you, our friends and family, and the blessings of "home" that far surpass Target, Starbucks, and all the conveniences we can miss here on the island [I'm kidding a little about missing all those things, but you know what I mean ;) ] and we can't wait to be back face-to-face with all of you!!!!  

Much love from Grenada.

No comments:

Post a Comment